We are counting down the days to where we will gather at Leinenkugel’s for this year’s Royalty announcement and parade up to the fairgrounds, decked out in our authentic German attire to witness the legendary tapping of the Golden Keg.
After the ceremony, what do you do first? To make sure you have a memorable Oktoberfest experience, we created a list of 10 things you should not miss at Oktoberfest.
- Sing Ein Prosit with Crazy George. Chances are, you have done this without realizing it. Crazy George is a staple at Oktoberfest, singing songs and playing his accordion.
- Bavarian Pretzels. Bavarian pretzels are one of the many important food groups at Oktoberfest, we suggest you eat as many as you can to maintain your healthy, Oktoberfest-ready physique.
- Learn how to polka dance. There is no such thing as awkward at Oktoberfest! Step out on the dance floor and follow along, someone will always be there to show you how it’s done.
- Win a game of stumpfnagel. Stumpfnagel is much more difficult than it sounds. There is a log and a long nail sticking out for each player. Everyone takes turns trying to hammer their nail in, the one who pounds it in, wins. The more drinks you have, the easier it seems to get! Watch it here!
- Eat your weight in sauerkraut. Another important food group at Oktoberfest. There is even a sauerkraut eating contest for the hard-core fans.
- Try every beer on tap… many times. Enough said.
- Enter the Beer Stein Holding Competition. If you hold a beer stein full of water at shoulder level, arm extended, longer than anyone else, you will be a true Oktoberfest Champion.
- Take a picture with the Oktoberfest royalty. Each year, the Oktoberfest Committee selects a couple who is very involved in the community and elects them as Festmeister and Festmeisterin (Festival Masters) There are 15 sets of Oktoberfest Royalty, one Festmeister and Festmeisterin for each year. Take a picture with them and use #CFOFest
- Watch the Glockenspiel. Some of the Oktoberfest Committee members get together and perform at the Glockenspiel. You will laugh, you will cry, you will take a lot of pictures! This performance will give you the entertainment you have been craving.
- Explore the Famileintreff (Family Fun) Building. Music, face painting, authentic German clothing, magic shows, and more can be found under one roof. You could easily spend hours in there and you wouldn’t regret it!
This list is only the sweet candy shell to the deliciousness that is Oktoberfest. So, Halt deine Lederhosen and join us at the Northern Wisconsin State Fair Grounds!