From Cornell to Menomonie the Chippewa Valley State Trail System is over 76 miles of fun. While you pedal down the trailway, following the gorgeous twists and bends of the Chippewa River & Red Cedar Rivers you will be able to take in 2 state parks, 5 natural/wildlife areas, 4 lakes/ponds, and one of our favorite parts – 8 BREWERIES. Yes, that wasn’t a typo. So, no matter if you want to tackle one section of the trail, barrel through the whole stretch, or extend it into a several-day leisure ride, we have plenty of spots to quench your thirst within 5 miles of the trail. We’ve broken them down by each state trail to make for easy planning from most northern to most southern. GO enjoy!
Old Abe State Trail
- MoonRidge Brew Pub [Downtown Cornell, on Bridge St.] – Right at the beginning of your trek you can try this gem. They have 9 beers on tap and 5 unique pizzas made with the spent grains from the brewery. MoonRidge is neither a bar nor a restaurant. Instead, they prefer to be labeled as a Brew Pub and that’s what sets them apart.
- Jacob Leinenkugel’s Brewery & Leinie Lodge [Just North of Downtown Chippewa Falls] – This brewery has been keeping Chippewa Falls residents happy for over 153 years! As one of the oldest craft breweries in the country, they invite you to take a tour and learn their history as well as enjoy a brew or two while checking out their lodge filled with memorabilia and trendy merchandise.
- Chippewa River Distillery & Brewster Bros. Brewing Co. [Downtown Chippewa Falls Along River St.] – This downtown joint gives its patrons the best of both worlds, award-winning craft beer, and spirits. You’ll love the industrial feel of the tasting room as well as the view of the Chippewa River from their outside patio or rooftop deck.
In case you want to go the extra mile, check out the rest of Chippewa County’s craft beverage makers that are a little bit further off the trail.
Chippewa River State Trail
- Brewing Projekt: Located just across the river from the Phoenix Park Trailhead, the Brewing Projekt is the place to be for unique and innovative brews. Perks? It’s family AND dog-friendly with a great outdoor space for all kinds of play.
- Lazy Monk: Also located across the Chippewa River from the Phoenix Park Trailhead is Lazy Monk! They specialize in traditional Czech and German Lagers and will make you feel like you’ve biked all the way to Europe. If you make a stop here, raise your pint and cheers to how far you’ve come and the journey you have ahead.
- Modicum Brewing Company: Modicum is defined as “a small quantity of a particular thing, especially something considered desirable or valuable.” That’s exactly what Modicum’s beer is: desirable and valuable. Located in Altoona and 5 miles from the trail, Modicum is sure to rock your beer-loving world.
- Ombibulous Brewing Company: Ombibulous sits within 5 miles of the Chippewa River State Trail in Altoona, WI. This brewery’s beer and vibe will make you feel like you’re in the prohibition era, but good news here is – the beer is good and the tap is always flowing!
- K-Point Brewing: Out near the mall area, K-Point Brewing offers a wide variety of drinks that include beer and cocktails! Not only will this place satisfy your thirst, but your hunger too with the tasty dishes on their diverse menu.
Red Cedar State Trail
- Lucette Brewing Company [Menomonie Depot & Visitor Center] – Right as you hit the trail at the Menomonie Depot you will find Lucette’s brewhouse and large patio. They offer 8 beers on tap and handcrafted Neapolitan style pizza taught by a VPN certified chef, it is as close to Italy as you can get. All of their pizzas are created with 24-hour fermented dough, covered in hand-pulled mozzarella, and locally sourced ingredients. Gluten-free and vegan options are available. You can call for pizza carryout and also add on a growler or 6-pack to go!
- brewery nønic [East of the trail on way to downtown] – This is a must-stop on the way to Downtown Menomonie. It is the only brewery in the area that has vintage English Tappers that provide both visual and flavorful satisfaction. You can enjoy one of their 10 taps on their outdoor patio with a firepit made with the original bricks from the historic Train Station which was in the building before the brewhouse. They have a walk-up window to order your beverage or you can head inside for additional seating options.
- Zymurgy Brewing Company [Main Street] – Zymurgy Brewing Company was just awarded the “Best Adaptive Reuse” by Wisconsin Main Street for their creativity in converting an old auto repair shop into their brewhouse. They have a great patio just off of Main Street and room inside to enjoy your beverage. They have 13 beers on tap, hard seltzers, and non-alcoholic options like their fresh in-house-made kombucha and teas.
In case someone in your group is into wine or whiskey, here are even more great options that are within 5 miles of the trails.
- River Bend Vineyard, Winery & Distillery [Old Abe State Trail] – Located in the heart of the Chippewa Valley this stunning vineyard and distillery specializes in growing and producing wines made from cold-hardy grapes grown on-site and premium spirits from locally grown grains. The tasting room offers complimentary wine sampling and wine sales by the glass and bottle. Gifts and accessories for the wine enthusiast are also available. Open from April-December.
- Infinity Beverages Winery & Distillery [Chippewa River State Trail] – Infinity is determined to develop a distinctive array of great-tasting wines and spirits. Innovation is our mantra and by means of relentless “liquid innovation” is how all the wines and spirits from Infinity Beverages are produced. All of Infinity’s products are truly unique–you won’t find the ordinary, but when you visit come with an open mind (and eager palate) and you’ll surely find something extraordinary.
If you really want to go the extra mile, check out the rest of Chippewa County’s craft beverage makersthat are a little bit further off the trail.
Know Before You GO
Click here to learn a little bit more about each trail system as well as access maps and learn about other nearby attractions, eateries, and accommodations.