This sawdust deposit is a remnant of the huge pile of sawdust and shavings accumulated between 1885 and 1911 from the finishing of millions of feet of white pine lumber in the Planing Mill located in the old lumberyard (known as the “Flats”).
A season’s cut at the “Big Mill” ran toward 60,000,000 board feet. The “Pile” provided sawdust and shavings for insulation of homes and worms for fishing bait. There were times when fires burned out-of-control in its depths. This is considered “Hallowed ground” by many who played here as youngsters between 1895 and 1950.