Through its local legislative body, the County of Chippewa decided in 1894 to build a county asylum, and in 1895 the main building was erected. Other improvements on a farm of 240 acres were made. The farm located 2 miles east of the city is on the banks of the Chippewa River and overlooks beautiful country across the river from the home for the Feeble Minded.
The first patient was admitted on December 26, 1895, and by 1912, they had 75 patients. The first recorded burial was William M. Monroe on November 26, 1900, in Row 2, Site 25. The next recorded burial was Mary N. Hill July 31, 1901, in Row 1, Site 1. The last recorded burial was Robert Page on June 25, 1955.