In 1847, a German named George Myers arrived in Chippewa Falls looking for a tract of land for farming purposes. Before that time, no one had attempted to cultivate any larger spot of ground than a garden patch. He chose this tract of land about six miles northwest of the “Falls” in what was then the town of Eagle Point and since becoming a part of the town of Tilden in 1883.
The mercantile firm of Allen and Bass transported his farming implements and other necessaries by boat. The embryo 80-acre farm was composed of prairie, timberland, and a fresh spring. Here the pioneer farmer of Chippewa County broke ground for corn, wheat, and other products.
Within a short time, he built a comfortable log cabin, married a woman he met from the area, and cultivated highly productive acres that were the envy of the whole surrounding countryside. In the 1850s, William Henneman (later to become Chairman of Chippewa County’s first Commission form of government) purchased the farm.